Case Studies

diageo

When NRS began to work with DIAGEO, the world’s leading premier drinks company, with 29 sites across the north of Scotland, they had set a companywide target of ZERO Waste to landfill. In 3 months NRS assisted DIAGEO in raising recycling figures from less than 50% to 80%. The following month 90% recycling was achieved over all 29 sites including 3 in Islay. 9 months in to the contract we hit 99% recycling and we continue to work with DIAGEO in finding a solution to the remaining 1% in the form of energy from waste recovery. NRS handle in excess of 2000 scheduled collections a year on DIAGEO’s behalf.

The University of the Highlands and Islands (UHI) is committed to addressing the challenges of climate change and to investigating ways in which they can reduce CO2 emissions. In order to fulfil this commitment, they published a carbon management plan which, amongst other projects, included the implementation of a waste management system. Northern Recycling Solutions (NRS) assisted UHI in substituting general waste bins with recycling bins throughout the offices. By providing staff with central recycling points at key locations they were able to reduce waste to landfill by 67% and CO2 emissions by 13 tonnes per annum. UHI began recycling paper, cardboard, plastic, cans, glass, confidential waste and electrical waste with NRS. They increased recycling services further to provide a solution for paper towels and food waste. A great example of an organisation committed to best practise and resource efficiency.

Northern Recycling Solutions were delighted to support Robertson Northern in the construction of Scotland’s first purpose-built justice centre in Inverness. The new facility brings court and support services under the one roof to provide a more integrated and efficient justice system. 

The building has been designed to ensure the justice system is accessible, modern and fit-for-purpose. As well as providing modern court and tribunals facilities, a range of justice and support organisations are based in the centre to provide improved connectivity with the court and tribunal service operations.

Northern Recycling Solutions provided a complete waste management service including skips, wheelie bins, office & canteen recycling bins, food waste uplifts, and hazardous waste collections, with the focus being on maximising recycling and eliminating waste to landfill.

A massive 99.94% of site waste was diverted from landfill which is a fantastic achievement for a project of this sized based in the Highlands of Scotland. Northern Recycling Solutions continue to work with Robertson in achieving Zero Waste to Landfill across all their sites.